1. Writing a gladiator was returning to my roots—my first story was set in a gladiator school in ancient Rome. (No it’s not published.)
2. The twins fascinate me, in part because I have older brothers who are twins.
3. Juhan was very straight laced, the very definition of a good guy. The process of changing that was heartbreaking.
4. Chosi was never supposed to have friends. Not in the jakta. But as I wrote it, I realized she wouldn’t survive without someone.
5. Jemes was one of my favorite characters to write. He surprised me, because he was never planned.
6. The story did not allow me to explore as many worlds as I would like, but Renlarte is still my favorite.
7. I began writing Gentle Chains before I got pregnant with my youngest child.
8. Gentle Chains was it’s fourth title.
9. Part why I wrote Gentle Chains was to write a book without any romance. (Spoiler alert: I failed)
10. Book 2, Violent Freedom, concludes the story begun here, and comes out Fall 2015.
About Nazarea Andrews
Nazarea Andrews is an avid reader and tends to write the stories she wants to read. She loves chocolate and coffee almost as much as she loves books, but not quite as much as she loves her kids. She lives in south Georgia with her husband, daughters, and overgrown dog.
About Gentle Chains
When slavers steal Juhan and his twin sister Chosi from their home planet of psychics, their only comfort is in the fact that they’re together. When they are separated at auction, Juhan swears to find his sister, no matter the cost.
Juhan is bought by the spoiled daughter of a political scion. Caught in her glittering world of intrigue and politics, Juhan is startled to find Sadi playing a long game to change intergalactic politics and Juhan is merely a pawn in her game. But as his vow and Sadi's lies takes them across galaxies, he begins to wonder if his young owner is more than an arrogant rich girl. And he has to consider the cost of his promise—especially when people they both care for begin to die.
A galaxy away, Chosi is sold into blood sport. With her psychic ability, she earns a precarious position of value within the gladiator school, training the draken—wild creatures of smoke and fire—for the arena. In the midst of that hell, she forges a friendship with the slave Jemes and the draken she cares for. But when her defiance comes with devastating results, Chosi contemplates suicide as an escape from her chains. Yet, she can't forget the brother who promised to find her, and even as she welcomes the risk of death, she clings to that promise.
Spun across space and exotic worlds, Juhan and Chosi try to find each other, and home in a stunning story about the lengths love will take you.